Accident

Beech Grove Fire Chief saves dog’s life

A window air conditioner or its associated electrical outlet is thought to be the cause of a fire that broke out on Thursday morning at a home just west of Jasper.

The volunteers of the Beech Grove Fire Department were dispatched to the location just north of Highway 190, on Farm to Market Road 1747, shortly after 9:00 and arrived to find smoke coming from the single wide mobile home owned by Jimmy and Karen Dotson.

Firemen immediately entered the home and began to attack the fire and had it out within a short time.

Karen Dotson said she was the only one home and was asleep, when her dog apparently detected the smoke and began to bark, waking her. Dotson said she was able to make it out of the house, but couldn’t find her dog named “Shorty”, who had alerted her. However, within a short time Beech Grove Fire Chief Jamie Gunter came out the front door of the home with the dog in hand.

Gunter said the dog was found underneath a bed in the room where the fire broke out.

The dog and a cat that were in the home were saved and no injuries resulted from the incident.

Gunter praised all firemen who responded and especially Cecil Wade who was first to arrive on scene.

Written by Mike Lout

Categories: Accident

Tagged as: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s