A sprinkler system stopped a fire last week at a private gym in Spring that was occupied by 50 people.
At around 8:30 p.m. Sept. 10, firefighters with the Montgomery County Emergency Services District No. 8 were dispatched to a reported fire alarm at the LA Fitness Signature Club at 3570 Harmony Commons, according to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The first fire engine reported smoke in the building and a water flow alarm. Once inside the building, the crew determined a fire broke out in a commercial dryer in the facility’s laundry room. The firefighters determined a single fire sprinkler head activated and controlled the flames before it could spread, according to the fire marshal’s office.
Approximately 50 customers and employees were in the building when the fire started and were able to escape unharmed when the alarm sounded, the fire marshal’s office added.
The sprinkler system was installed in 2018 and inspected by fire inspectors with the emergency services district, according to the fire marshal’s office.
The Montgomery County Commissioner’s Court adopted a countywide fire code in 2008 after a series of commercial fires damaged or destroyed several businesses. Since then, fire marshal’s personnel have reviewed building plans on more than 100 million square feet of new construction projects. Along with partnering agencies, the fire marshal’s office conducts thousands of inspections annually, according to the countywide agency.
Written by Jose R. Gonzalez